This is part of the Pueblo that natives still live in today. There are only fifty full time villagers but the others in the tribe have to spend so much time occupying their pueblos (these are little apartments that make up the pueblo). Most have shops set up and sell hand-made trinkets. They use the adobe ovens during traditional ceremonies and bake bread and other foods.
This was the spa trip that Bill gave me for my birthday. I mentioned that I had never been to New Mexico and now I have! Taos is a ski resort town similar to Park City. It is an artist retreat with many, many art museums. Lots of tourist trap kinda shops. The house we stayed in had been converted to a hotel many years ago....many years ago! I'm sure the ski bums are thrilled with the antiques and old atmosphere..but we were not that impressed. Very expensive during the ski season but not too bad in the summer. There is no AC because the adobe keeps it cool...NOT! I think that 80 is not so cool especially at night. Our room was on the first floor with the window opening onto the front porch. It was really cool except if we wanted to open the window to get some air. Two chairs and a table were right outside!!! And yes, people did sit and visit in the evenings so we learned to stay away until bedtime. We had dinner at a very ritzy place that even with a $30 gift certificate we spent nearly $100!!!!! We spent a lot of time visiting all the local sites...a Mexican hacienda that was several hundred years old..an old catholic church that was kinda creepy..took a scenic drive up to the ski resorts and Wal-mart! It was a really fun trip and now I can say I have been to Taos and never need to go there again!





1 comments:
That's funny... it sounds fun and interesting and then you end the post with "...and never need to go there again!"
I would actually love to go there in the winter and ski a little, though it's probably not worth the drive when we have awesome mountains right here.
Seems like you guys are retired or something with all the traveling you've been doing this summer.
Post a Comment